It’s not often I write a personal blog post. But there are some things that sometimes, much to the disgust of the general public, need to be shouted from the rooftops. This is one of them, so if you have a weak stomach or you’re not into OTT displays of affection, look away now.
The end of this week marks the first year with my amazing fiance. Getting engaged after only six months together certainly turned a few heads and set a few interfering tongues wagging. Some well-meaning friends gently asked me if we were sure about our decision, others with less of our best interests at heart ended up leaving our lives for good.
If you’d told me over a year ago that I’d be engaged within the year, I would have laughed. First of all at the prospect that anyone would put up with me every day for the rest of their lives, and secondly because I wasn’t in a serious relationship. But I’m now a happy convert to the “when you know, you know” club. And here’s why:
10 reasons I’m marrying the love of my life
1. He’s possibly one of the most intelligent and interesting people I’ve ever met. Seriously – I always tease him about being full of useless facts, but I think my general knowledge bank has increased exponentially since we met. He’s definitely someone you want on your pub quiz team. Oh, and he can fix pretty much anything technical. Broken computer? No such thing. And he has a staggering ability to find an internet connection pretty much anywhere in the world. The fact that the first sparks flew during a political debate says it all.
2. He’s infinitely patient. Facing facts, I can be… well, a bit of a brat. Not intentionally, but I get a bit grouchy when I’m, you know, hungry, sleepy, hormonal, annoyed about something else, worried about stuff… the list goes on. Every day I’m amazed at his incredible ability to put up with me – even when I’m not sure I want to put up with me.
3. For some reason he thinks I’m the most beautiful person in the world even when I have make up smeared over my face, food in my teeth, morning hair, even if I’m bawling my eyes out. Even when I’m, by anyone’s standards, my least attractive, he manages to muster up an adoring compliment. Everyone needs one of these.
4. When he’s upset about something it makes me want to fix it. And if I can’t it makes me sad. Even if I don’t understand the thing he’s upset about in the slightest.
5. When I’m ill (and I’ve been out of action with a bad back for a while) he spoils me rotten. I’m not allowed to lift a finger – this extends to washing my clothes and cooking me amazing meals, coming back from the shop with lovely (albeit fattening) surprises and patiently administering any TLC required. Even rubbing my back when I’ve been in a lot of pain.
6. He lets me obsessively watch shows he’d never be interested in. Not in a million years. And pays attention. He told me I looked very “chic” after an overdose of Next Top Model.
7. He has made me so at home in his house. Decorating and building a home together has been one of the most fun bonding exercises I’ve ever experienced. Even if he can’t paint a wall to save his life.
8. Sounds cheesy (because it is) but he knows what I’m thinking a lot of the time. I know this because he says stuff that I was about to say. *Freaky alien music*
9. He’s an unashamed geek like me. Neither of us really like conventional anything – and he understands all my weird quirks because of it. I like to think we always find original and silly ways to have fun.
10. I get to see my best friend every single day. Yay!
There’s so much more to say but I think this picture really says it best. I love you, baby – happy anniversary. Thank you for asking me to marry you and here’s to many more to come.